Saturday, September 5, 2009

School is Awesome

I don't mean to shit on everyone else's EPIK experience but so far I have to say that I'm the luckiest kid in Korea right now. When they told me I was teaching in Elementary school I was a little apprehensive but I paid for the plane ticket and new the rules of the game.

When I finally got to school everyone was nice, the kids while they stared didn't lose their shit and jump me. I got some handshakes some short English conversations and many "hello's" in Korean. The teachers have been really nice, even though I'm only going to teach 6th graders at this school, I've had a chance to talk to the 3rd & 4th grade English teacher and the 5th grade English teacher, I'm going to do some after school classes with her so I'll get to see them.

On the first day after school was done and most everyone was gone or leaving I was standing on the stairs on the breezeway between the buildings and an older lady stopped and we talked for probably 10 minutes, she kept trying to tell me her English is no good but I was like "well we're having a pretty substantial conversation so you must know something". She's a 2nd grade teacher so I probably won't get to teach her kids or see her again until teacher meetings on Tuesdays.

Speaking of meetings this Tuesday, I have to introduce myself and give a short speech, which my co-teacher asked my to write so she could translate it to those who don't speak English. Then on Monday off to teach the first class of 6th graders. While I was sitting doing my eternal nothing yesterday a girl came in and stood between my co-teacher and I(we sit next to each other turned towards the center) she said something to my co-teacher and then turns to me and hands me a piece of paper all folded up. It was a note "To Teacher" I asked if she was in 6th grade, cause she's kinda small, but I should have known from how good her handwriting was and also how well put together the note was, grammatically speaking. Then I got to the end of the actual note, which was like 4-6 questions and a statement and saw that she had just written "love" over and over again. I think they may need to be taught how exactly the word works but that's for another day and I can do that with "Handsome" and "Beautiful", cause every foreigner apparently gets called those depending on the sex of the teacher they're talking to, so they use the partially correctly.

Off to the Okcheon street vendors to buy stuff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment