Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Music

My tastes in music are evolving. Being here and having been through English Camp where after class some girls would stay around and listen to music on the computer I got to here alot of heartthrob boy band stuff. I can say very easily that in America I hated boy bands, but I think Justin Timberlake is great. Maybe it's the SNL stuff and him not being to great to try and occasionally suck at acting but I find him and his music way more tolerable now than I did when he was in N'Sync or the other one. So anyway I was at an open mic night here with one of my fellow Okcheonian teachers who was playing and we were talking about the music scene here.

I don't know he mentioned how at a dinner with some of my co-teachers they talked about music and how it was for them in school or should I say University and the name Park Jin-Young came up. I was like "holy crap I know that guy" I knew him not as a singer but as a producer cause he does some of the bigger acts of Korea including one of the girls favorite groups, 2 P.M.. His entertainment company is actually called JYP Entertainment. He chooses the Western way of doing that and also goes by those initials as opposed to you know, PJY. I guess JYP flows better. Anyway apparenly this guy was a sex symbol back in the day. When he was in his mid to late 20's now he's 38 and still going and I'm listening to his music and other Korean things as well.


-I went to a Korean Punk concert a few weeks ago. Let's just say it was interesting. First thing it made me appriciate English language music. I may think it's trash but it's only cause I understand what they are saying. GRRRRR, If I would have stayed up front I would have know but I was a wuss on so many levels. This band was interesting though they used accordian and flute. I'd go again and I would stand near the front.

-Went to Seoul last week and saw an art exhibit of Andy Worhal's work and I don't mean to be an art critic or overly critical but a bit of the stuff there was like "C'mon, what were people doing back then? Oh, right lots of acid, lsd and pot, carry on then"

-We were supposed to go to the Kimchi Museum in Seoul but we were too late. It's on the south side of the city. So now I'm going to lead an expidition of at least 2 and probably more back to Seoul for the sole purpose of seeing the museum. I have some other plans after that but that weekend is oh, 6 weeks away. Why in Gods name would I plan something so far ahead you ask??? Am I a control freak?? Is there someone I'm trying to impress?? Do I have some sinister plan???? Yes. Yes. No. And mostly because for the next 5 weeks stuff is going on. Friday-Saturday I get to do something where I'm hanging out with Koreans, FINALLY. All it took was a church retreat and their desperation to have me do things. The next weekend might be spent skiing. Then the next weekend is Korean New Years and I might end up in Busan. Then I go on vacation and am gone for 2 Sundays then I get back work a week and WOOOO Kimchi Museum and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment