Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Bet

So here I am sitting in South Korea, 7:16pm on a Tuesday night. Listining to a group called Wonder Girls and their single "Nobody". I have 5 weeks to learn it. I have a group of kids that are gonna sing a Backstreet Boys song on the 17th of December it's "As long as you love me". The songs are about comperable in terms of duration, you will not be able to say the same thing about the level of embarassment between the two performers. I take on this challange not because it is easy but because it is difficult, I think this is a worthy cause if it will encourage the kids to speak or in this case sing more English.

Another thing probably not balanced is the actual lyrics of the songs. You may not know this but uhh the Backstreet Boys never really realeased a Korean single. Not a single word of it. Whereas every popular song here has at least one english word or sound that is familiar to English speakers in it. Add in the fact that the word is probably repeated 1000000 times in the song and it becomes slightly easier to sing. My method for learning it is to look at romanized lyrics since I still cannot really read Korean yet. The second part of this evil plan is to listen to the song over and over while reading those very same lyrics. Like I said the song is so loaded with English that if I can learn it quick enough I want to learn a second song, also I want to learn "He's singing in Korean" from The Colbert Report cause that's a classy song to sing to 5th and 6th graders

No comments:

Post a Comment