Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Week

Today was the Principals birthday. I was sitting at the computer when my co-teacher asked if I wanted to do something with them later in the afternoon and I said "sure" because I'm literally dying to do some things with the co-workers. So she said pizza, I was fine with that, sounds fun. So Koreans are big into puzzle and games and we do this thing with a maze and numbers and at the bottom exposed to you are numbers. An amount you will pay. 10000, 5000, 2000. A couple of "free" spaces and maybe even a 1000 spot or 2. I picked number 7 cause it only went to 9 and at my other school my number is 7 as in Teacher: "I to 7"; Students: "Bernard!"

So I think "finally" cause my school is so big that 1.) Too many teachers to get together, 2.) Many of the teachers live in Daejeon which is about a 20 minute ride to the east and closest side of the city and it's a pretty big city. 3.) Many of the teachers are older, married and may have kids. Like there are probably 55-80 staff and teachers I would say 90 percent of them have families. I can really only positively identify one person other than myself. I only know about her cause a week after I paid my gas bill for the first time, she had to pay her gas bill for the first time and asked my co-teacher for help. My coteacher turned to me and said "Bernard how long did it take you to pay your bill?" "5 minutes" Then she looked back at her and was just like walk to the bank it's easy. (edit: everything with banking is easy here, you know how I pay rent, I take my bank book or ATM card put it in the machine and there is a "transfer" option. Hit that select the bank put in the persons account number and the amount confirm and take a receipt. Unbelievable)

Anyway I find out that this is actually for cake and pizza for the Principal. I like the guy don't get me wrong but you know tell me what we are doing. 1) I can keep a secret, 2) I don't speak Korean and he doesn't really speak a lot of English so I couldn't tell him if I tried. Anyway, I only taught 6 classes this week at Samyang because it was big time test week. The kids took test in Math, Korean, English, Music and some other thing that my favorite student counldn't remember the English name for. She said she did good in everything except the one she couldn't remember otherwise she said it was good. I think I'm going to leave it at that because it ends with a student who gave me a thumbs up and a smile before she left.

No comments:

Post a Comment