Friday, December 4, 2009

Okcheon on the rise

When I got here I thought it was nice. Not clean. Not new. But it's very nice and I like Okcheon. The Geum is the 3rd longest river in South Korea it runs through Okcheon. I mean I thought it was a pretty important waterway when I got here even though it's rather shallow. I attribute that to the inflated sense of worth that I attach to everything around me cause I'm an egomaniac. But then I saw a sign that is literally across the street from Samyang, my main school. It's the Geum River and it's sort of a big deal.

So after I got here and after some walking around I thought that this river split the town up and created an island that housed the main section, like Samyang Elementary. Well one of the teachers who got here in March told me a bit later that they basically built the left section of the river in the time since they arrived. This is the view towards where the two side meet from the side they just built over the last ohh, 7 months or so.



Now I had no clue that this was just built. I kinda figured that as I said before this was a natural formation. This next picture is looking up the old leg of the river. This was back when I first got here.



Now they are adding even more. These dolphins, I can't even explain it. If real dolphins tried to get to Okcheon the would die so fast it's not even funny. Ok maybe a little funny. Point is this is a shallow river, really shallow like, a dolphin wouldn't need to worry about coming up for air as much as they would have to worry about getting down for food. But they are bronze, they have hoses and I assume that sometime in Spring or even later this winter if they are crazy, these babies will be spouting water into the are at a regular interval.



This is a pedestrian bridge that was built in about a month, it spans the new section of the stream.


Hopefully I'll see tremendous progress in all this and be able to document it here

No comments:

Post a Comment