Friday, November 6, 2009

Big day today

Today was AWESOME!!!!! I got to talk to the other two Korean English Teachers a ton today and they are hilarious. The 3rd and 4th grade teacher I talked to the most we had a demo class that people could come and sit in on and we got together and practiced for a hour before hand. After our walk through we just talked, she probably isn't the best English of the bunch I have but she expresses herself the most. We talked about Korean culture and how much she doesn't enjoy some of it. She has to cook... alot, and she doesn't really enjoy it cause ya know, she has a full time job. She told me about ceremonies for dead ancestors on her Husbands side only, and how because he is the oldest son she has to do the cooking for the events. Her mother-in-law chips in a ton though but she had funa and was asking my opinion on alot of it. She also talked about how men don't cook here. Asked me how it is in America and marveled at the fact that some men do cook and some actually do all the cooking, that's pretty much unheard of here.

After class we went to the gym where there was a ceremony for our big day. 3 classes of kids did dances, one Thai, one Philippine and one Korean. All I'm gonna say is they were like 3rd or 4th graders and they broke out the smoke and bubble machines for it. Then we heard speaches. I've never laughed so hard on the inside and stayed so still on the outside. The other teacher is the 5th grade teacher and her and the 3/4 teacher were just like "uhhh why won't this end". They hated every moment of every speech and often would turn to me and say "aren't you bored?" to which I would reply "I can't understand so I cannot be bored" Which is true for me. I just sat there tried to spell some stuff in Korean and listened. Then at the end the Superintendent of Chungbuk-do, which is the province that I'm in that is a "State" to those of you in the States. He apparently said that I did a good job for the class that I did, he went as far to say my name, my full name. I laughed out loud, not very loud but it was audible. Good times.

After all this we went to a dinner my first dinner with the or either school. This is what I read about although it was still like only an hour I enjoyed every minute of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment